A 41-year-old man has been charged with indecently assaulting two young men. (ABC News: Briana Shepherd)
WA Police have charged a 41-year-old man with indecently assaulting an 18-year-old man and a 19-year-old man in separate incidents after offering them lifts home from Perth entertainment precincts.
- A 41-year-old man allegedly indecently assaulted two young men in the back of his car
- Police said the men were in vulnerable states as they left night clubs in Claremont and Northbridge
- Detectives are urging potential victims of similar assaults to come forward
It is alleged the Armadale man picked up the two young men, who police said were in vulnerable states, as they left Perth night clubs before indecently assaulting them in his car.
Police said during subsequent search warrants an electronic device was found containing videos which allegedly show a number of other young men being assaulted in the man’s car.
Detectives would like to speak to any men aged between 18 and 35 who may have been the victim of similar assaults after leaving Perth entertainment precincts in the past 18 months.
Police said the investigation was opened by Mirrabooka Detectives after the 19-year-old reported being assaulted after he accepted a lift from the accused on January 21, after leaving a Claremont nightclub.
On February 28 the 41-year-old man was arrested at his Nedlands business and search warrants were executed both there and at his home in Armadale.
Inspector Louise Ball said evidence from police raids led to a second alleged victim. (ABC News: James Carmody)
Inspector Louise Ball said evidence was found during these raids which led to the identification of the second alleged victim.
Police said the 18-year-old was indecently assaulted after accepting a lift from the man in Northbridge just four days earlier on February 24.
Inspector Ball said while the 18-year-old had an idea something had occurred that night, he did not know what until he was approached by police.
“What I think has taken place is someone who is opportunistic has preyed on young, vulnerable men — who have obviously been socialising with friends, out and about, they’re in the entertainment precinct trying to get from A to B — and seen the opportunity to offer them a lift while they’re in that vulnerable state,” she said.
“It would appear that our accused is targeting young vulnerable men between the ages of 18 and 35.
“As we can imagine there’s a degree of perhaps embarrassment or awkwardness to that, and that’s why we stress if you think that you are a victim please come forward, ring Crime Stoppers, we’ll treat your information with discretion and confidentially.”
The accused is in custody and is due to face court later this month.